Information for Testators
1. What is the purpose of the Wills Registry?
The purpose of the Wills Registry is to store information relating to the location of the Will drawn up by a Testator (i.e. person who made the Will).
It is not compulsory to deposit your Wills information with us.
2. What type of information is kept by the Wills Registry?
The following information is kept by the Wills Registry:
· Particulars of the Testator;
· Date of Will and Codicil (i.e. a supplement modifying a Will);
· Particulars of the Solicitor who drew up the Will;
· Particulars of the Custodian of the Will; and
· Particulars of the Informant
We do not maintain a copy of the actual Will.
3. How do I deposit my Wills information with the Wills Registry?
You will need to complete Form 5 - “Deposition of Information on Wills” and submit it to us either by post, fax or by hand. A copy of Form 5 is available at www.ipto.gov.sg under Public Trustee > Wills Registry > Forms
Please allow two weeks for processing of your Form 5.
4. How would I know that the Wills Registry has updated my information into the system?
We will send a letter of notification to the informant.
5. Who will have access to the Wills information?
All information deposited with the Wills Registry is strictly confidential. Only the following persons may make a search for information pertaining to a Will:
· The Testator upon proof of his identity;
· The Solicitor who is assisting the Testator to draw up any subsequent Will;
· The Solicitor acting for the estate of the deceased Testator upon the production of the deceased Testator’s death certificate; or
· The Next-of-Kin of a deceased Testator upon production of the deceased Testator’s death certificate and documents establishing his relationship with the deceased Testator.
6. How do I conduct a search on Wills information with the Wills Registry?
You will need to complete Form 6 - “Search for Information on Wills” and submit it to us by post or by hand, together with the search fee and relevant supporting documents. A copy of Form 6 is available at www.ipto.gov.sg under Public Trustee > Wills Registry > Forms.
Please allow two weeks for processing of your Form 6.
7. What are the supporting documents required?
We will require the following supporting documents:
· For Testator: NRIC
· For Law Firms:
o NRIC of Testator
o Death Certificate of deceased Testator
· For Next-of-Kin:
o Death Certificate of deceased Testator;
o NRIC of Next-of-Kin;
o Proof of Relationship with deceased Testator. For example, birth certificate of Next-of-Kin, marriage certificate of Next-of-Kin
8. What are the fees involved?
Our fees are as follows:
Deposition of Information
Cost of a Search Application